EMDR Therapy Training - Modules 1 & 2 - VIRTUAL
EMDRIA Approved EMDR Therapy Training
This training has been approved by the EMDR International Association for simultaneous in-person and virtual attendance. This page leads to registration for VIRTUAL participation via Zoom.
This training meets and exceeds curriculum standards set forth by the EMDR International Association for EMDR therapy training: a total of at least 50 hours including 20 hours of instructional learning, 20 hours of supervised practice, and 10 hours of consultation focused on integration and development of EMDR therapy skills.
Full completion of all training days and consultation hours is required to receive a certificate of completion. The 20 hours of supervised practice involves trainees working on real, personal issues that are appropriate to address in a training setting. Full participation in the supervised practicums within the roles of clinician, client, and observer is essential. All training components must be completed within 12 months, as per EMDRIA policy. Upon completion of this training, participants will receive a certificate of completion and be permitted to utilize the designation "EMDR trained."
Intended Audience: Mental health professionals (psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, counselors, marriage and family therapists, substance abuse counselors).
Please note: Learners who are also students in a graduate program must be active in a current practicum or internship setting that allows for implementation of EMDR therapy between Modules 1 and 2, and after Module 2. Students and provisionally licensed clinicians (LMSW, LPC Associate, LMFT Associate) must submit a letter of approval/support from their clinical supervisor indicating that utilization of EMDR therapy will be supported in their practice setting.
- Jennifer A Madere, LPC-S, EMDRIA Approved Consultant & Trainer
- Michelle Browning, LMFT-S, EMDRIA Approved Consultant & Trainer
- Traci Pirri, LCSW, EMDRIA Approved Consultant
- Lorraine Saldivar, LCDC, LPC, EMDRIA Consultant-in-Training
- Module 1: February 29-March 2, 2024, 9 am – 5:15 pm
- Module 2: June 13-15, 2024, 9 am – 5:15 pm
- Consultation groups are scheduled separately
A detailed schedule of Modules 1& 2 is available here. Registration includes two 3-day modules of training, 10 hours of group consultation, the training manual and supporting documents.
One textbook is required (and not included in the training cost):
- Shapiro, F. (2018). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy, Basic Principles, Protocols and Procedures, 3rd Edition. New York: Guilford Press.
Other required reading:
- Go With That Magazine Fall 2020, Volume 25, Issue 3 [EMDR & Racial Trauma]
- Guidelines for Virtual EMDR Therapy (Spring 2020)
An additional textbook is highly recommended, and will be used during practicum in Module 2:
- Luber, M. (2009). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Scripted Protocols: Basics and Special Situations, 1st Edition. Springer Publishing Company.
Each training is submitted for approval to provide 41.5 CE hours (20.75 for Module 1, and 20.75 for Module 2). EMDR Therapy Training – Modules 1 & 2 has been approved by NBCC for NBCC credit. Intuitus Group Counseling Clinic, PLLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the program. NBCC Approval No. SP-4360.
Module 1 (Days 1-3) - Content Level = Introductory
- Discuss the history of EMDR therapy and the research supporting its application
- Describe the mechanism of EMDR therapy and how it is theorized to work
- Analyze research exploring treatment outcomes and neurobiological structures associated with EMDR therapy
- Explain the Adaptive Information Processing Model and how it explains symptoms and the process of change in EMDR therapy
- Name the 8 phases and 3 prongs of EMDR therapy for comprehensive treatment
- Practice role-play applications of EMDR therapy procedures as instructed by training instructors
- Identify trauma-related diagnoses and screen for pathological dissociation
- Cite 3 indicators of readiness for trauma reprocessing with EMDR therapy
- Describe 3 strategies for effective and safe use of EMDR therapy
- Review resource development and implementation of Calm/Safe Place exercise
- Complete the 8 phases and 3 prongs of EMDR therapy with appropriate clients
- Conduct supervised application of all 8 phases of EMDR therapy with a fellow training participant
- Practice applications of EMDR therapy specifically recommended for virtual/teletherapy
Module 2 (days 3-6) – Content Level = Intermediate
- Formulate an AIP informed treatment approach with mutually agreed upon treatment goals based on the client’s presenting complaints
- List 6 diagnoses/client complaints known to be addressed successfully with EMDR therapy
- Cite 3 strategies to help clients stay within the Window of Tolerance
- Apply Cognitive Interweave, its uses and when not to use
- Describe protocols and strategies for safely closing down incomplete sessions
- Conduct supervised application of all 8 phases and 3 prongs of EMDR therapy with a fellow training participant
- Rank targets appropriate for EMDR therapy treatment
- Critique strategies to treat more complex trauma-related disorders
- Formulate a further understanding of special populations discussed and modify or consider issues in AIP case formulation and application of EMDR therapy
- Identify areas which require specialized EMDR training for the individual practitioner’s practice and where to obtain the training
- Utilize the process of becoming an EMDRIA Certified Therapist and becoming an EMDRIA member
- Apply appropriate extended Preparation and restricted Reprocessing strategies as indicated by client readiness factors
Certificates of Completion
Certificates of EMDR therapy training will be provided to trainees upon completion of all course requirements.
Full refund (minus $100 processing fee) for cancellations received 30 days or more prior to the first training date. 50% refund for cancellations received 29-7 days prior to the first training date. No refund for cancellations received less than 7 days prior to first training date.
- In the event that a trainee is unable to complete training due to a verified life-threatening emergency, they will be notified of upcoming trainings and given the opportunity to make up missed training days as training space allows.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure
There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.
For any further questions or concerns, contact email@example.com